Monday 20 April 2009

Neophilia

Why is it that buying new things does actually make you feel happier?

I now have a 26" widescreen digital TV, yay! Most importantly its HD ready (at this point I could start quoting Micheal McIntyre : Go here instead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LEu-LL8NUA )

But anyway I have also been spending money on CDs and realised how much difference it makes to me to buy a new worship CD. Admittedly it was a Third day album from about 8 years ago but it was new to me, and thats what made the difference.

I guess it brings a new slant on Ps 96:1
It occurs to me that some people in some churches hold on to their traditional hymns and songs like a comfort blanket. And snarl with menace if anyone were to make changes. Surely here is a clear indication that God wishes us to be refreshed and challenged in worship as well as comforted and familiar. On the other hand I don't agree with churches where only the worship leader seems to know any of the songs (sometimes not even they do!), where new songs are the only thing worth singing. There are some amazing old hymns that have slipped out of general conciousness, which is a great shame.

Perhaps the psalmist should have said "Sing a new song (or sing an old song, in a new way) to the Lord"

No comments:

Post a Comment