Wednesday 15 April 2009

The Father-Heart of God

Just started reading this book by Floyd McLung
The first chapter is all about how our parents affect the way we think about God - especially when God is described as a father. So many people in this world recoil at that thought. Their experience of father is not one of constant love, affirmation and care, and so when God is described as a father they seem Him in terms of the earthly, human fathers with all their hurts and failings.

Which makes me sad, and very angry of course. Those that know me well, know i have a bit of a "bee-in-my-bonnet" about the father-son relationship.

Anyway it got me all excited/passionate about the whole thing and reminded me why I am so terrified of becoming one myself - thankfully that'll be a while yet.

Russell Howard talks in his stand-up routine that "I'm not ready to be a dad! I'm still afraid of the dark!" - I know what he means.

No comments:

Post a Comment