Monday 21 September 2009

Cheating

It seems that every sport I turn to has some news story of cheating. I am a fan of many sports but it's starting to become difficult to have the passion when you realise that so many people are attempting to cheat.
In no particular order:
a) Football - Diving is a major issue at the moment, but also match fixing (in the past), Chelsea's transfer ban, the occasional drugs issue
b) Cycling - EPO, and other blood doping reports STILL going on despite all the time/money/effort that has gone into fighting it.
c) Formula 1 - Renault's current scandal, McLaren spy-gate last year
d) Rugby - "Blood-gate" scandal - although I'm pretty sure this was the lamest attempt at cheating I've seen for a while
e) American Football - Patriots "Spy-gate" scandal although that was a couple of years ago. Actually Amercian Football seem pretty good at reacting to cheating.
and many others...
But the cheating that annoys me the most.... Wii Mario Kart online. WHY?!!? who sits down at a wii and thinks "I'll go online and cheat so that I can win every race by a mile, get a rating of 9999 and make all the other users games frustrating and ultimately wasted"? What is it they hope to achieve? at least with all the above sports you can say - there's a financial benefit to cheating or to gain noteriety or a win. But all the wii-cheaters are achieving: making me less likely to play online mario-kart. Thus eventually all that will be left are the cheaters and the eternal optimists.

I guess that at the end of the day my current 6900 rating doesn't reflect my ability and I'm OK with that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment